Western Days 2016 Allegan, MI
It’s that time of year again! Planning is underway for Western Days 2016 at the Allegan County Fairgrounds. This year’s event will be held June 17th-19th. Since this is a community outreach event, our ministry team would like you to be well informed of our tentative schedule of events and of available opportunities for you and your congregation to use your God-given gifts and talents to promote the Kingdom of God and minister to others.
If your primary level of involvement is to promote the Western Days event, you’ll want to be aware of the tentative schedule. Planning this far in advance means that not everything is “locked in” yet and some events may be added or removed, but we have a general idea of what will be taking place. Times will be added to the schedule a bit later and we will send you those updates. As in the past, you can expect the gospel message to be presented in a unique way at each grandstand event.
Sunday June 12th
Pre-Event concert: Tommy Brandt will be performing in concert at the Griswold Auditorium in down town Allegan. Times and ticket prices to be announced.
Friday June 17th
This is a great family night out and a good way to entice hesitant guests to consider spending the day with us on Saturday the 18th.
- Back by popular demand: Cowboy Eventing! This event features obstacle challenges for horse and rider teams that mimic what a cowboy might experience “home on the range.” Last year’s obstacles included fire and water challenges as well as cattle sorting. This event provided spectators with plenty of quality riders for whom to cheer, as well as no shortage of laughs. You won’t want to miss this!
- Music, Music, Music! Tommy II will be back to host a concert geared towards the youth and the young at heart. Expect uplifting music with a country/rock vibe that will have you stomping your feet, clapping your hands and singing along.
Saturday June 18th
This is our “Big Event “ day and we will have lots happening. There will be complementary food available throughout the day as well as food available for purchase from a local vendor, but feel free to bring a picnic lunch if you’d like. Toss a blanket or some lawn chairs into your vehicle and plan to spend the day with us.
- Life Walk: Back again this year, Positive Options will host their annual Life Walk fund raising event. Participants will begin the walk inside the fairgrounds.
- Garage Sale: A popular event over the past few years, we will once again have a oneday-only garage sale at the fair grounds. Expect to find a wide variety of items available for purchase. All proceeds go towards covering the cost of the Western Days events.
- Family Bible Camp: This is a unique opportunity for families to learn biblical principals in a truly “cowboy” way. Camp is currently scheduled to run from noon-4pm and will include several learning stations, each complete with life lessons from the Word of God and hands-on activities. Plan to participate in this one-of-a-kind camp with your children or grandchildren.
- Cowboy Eventing: Because the event was so popular last year, we expect to have more horse/rider teams than can participate in the Friday segment. As a result, we will be continuing the eventing throughout the day on Saturday.
- Ronnie Sowle Memorial Bull Riding: This is Saturday’s highlight event and you will not want to miss it! Not only will you have the opportunity to see bull riding up close and personal, the evening will also include music by Tommy Brandt, 2014 Living Legend Award, ICGMA, 2014 Evangelist of the Year Award, 2013 Male Vocalist of the Year, along with many others and an appearance by Annie Schiller and Snickers. Seeing this is well worth staying out late!
Sunday June 19th
Happy Father’s Day! We hope you will join us as we close out our weekend with a pancake breakfast and a community church service. Last year we not only had a multitude of people come forward to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior during the weekend events, we also had over 20 people come forward during the church service to be baptized cowboy style – in a water trough. Plan to lift your hearts and voices together as “The Church,” in Allegan while we praise and worship our Heavenly Father.
If you and your congregation would like to become more deeply involved in this outreach ministry, here is a list of ways you can help. Unless otherwise directed, please contact Sue Sowle for additional information. [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Prayer: Community prayer meetings will be scheduled soon. If you would like your church to be on the email list to receive notification of these meetings or if you would like to host a meeting at your church, please contact Sue via email ASAP.
Evangelism: Above all things, Western Days is an outreach ministry designed to present the gospel of Jesus to a lost and dying world and to minister to the needs of the people as the Spirit leads. If this is an area of passion for you, we could use your help throughout the event. Contact Sue for further information.
Camp Workers: We are looking for several volunteers to help with the family bible camp. Specific positions include registration, teachers and camp guides. We will be happy to train you so no need to worry about experience.
Kitchen Ministry: People love to eat, and we enjoy providing them with food. As in the past, we will have food available at no cost throughout the day on Saturday. We are in need of multiple volunteers to minister to the community through food service.
Chili Cook off: Again, we will be asking the churches to make their favorite chili recipe to share with the group. This has always been a hit and this year it will be judged again with a trophy to be given to the winner! We would love to get a pot from each church in the area! Who’s your best chili maker?
Information, Medical & Security: Those looking to minister in this capacity should be comfortable being on their feet and on the go. The primary responsibility will be to provide guests with information about time schedules & events as well as location of the food court, restrooms, garage sale, etc. We do not anticipate any security or medical issues, however, volunteers should be on the lookout for potential problems and be prepared to assist guests as needed.
Ticket Sales: Once again individuals, churches, or businesses may purchase blocks of concert tickets. These tickets can be used as an outreach tool to invite friends, neighbors, and customers to the pre-event concert on June 12th. Ticket prices to be announced.
Garage Sale: Quality items are needed for this year’s garage sale. Please consider making a donation for the sale. Please send an email to email@example.com to learn how to make your donation.
Flyers: Once again Western Days event flyers will be available for distribution in the community. We are looking for volunteers to put up posters throughout Allegan County and to distribute flyers to businesses or door-to-door. This could be a great opportunity to involve the youth of your congregation.
Banners: Banners to advertise your church or business are available for purchase. These will be displayed at various locations throughout the fairgrounds and will be returned to purchasers after the event. Those purchasing banners may also choose to have ads in the Western Days flyer. Talk to Sue for further details.
Set Up/Take Down: Perhaps you are more of a hands-on, manual labor type of person. No problem, we have a place for you. We could use committed volunteers to help with the set up and take down work during the day on Friday and Sunday. We tend to have a good turn out for set-up and could use some equally committed individuals for take down.
Donations: Western Days Ministries is now a 501C3 corporation under the covering of World Ministry Fellowship. If you would like to make a financial donation to Western Days Ministries to help cover the cost of this year’s outreach events, please visit our webpage at https://www.westerndaysministries.org